This page contains an exhaustive list of updates and improvements for Things Mac since the application’s original preview in 2008.
Things Mac 2.2.5
December 19, 2013
- Improved how database files are handled and backed up on OS X Mavericks.
Things Mac 2.2.4
November 14, 2013 (Direct Download)
December 10, 2013 (Mac App Store)
- Fixed a bug which could cause Things to become unresponsive for some users on OS X Mavericks.
Things Mac 2.2.3
November 3, 2013 (Direct Download)
November 5, 2013 (Mac App Store)
- Fixed a bug with Daylight Savings Time which can cause weekly repeating tasks to show in Daily Review a day early.
- Fixed a bug where repeating tasks created on the Mac would show up on iOS with an end date of Dec 31, 4000.
Things Mac 2.2.2
October 24, 2013
- Compatibility for OS X Mavericks.
- Improved stability and bug fixes.
Things Mac 2.2.1
May 6, 2013
- Fixed an issue where future dates weren’t calculated properly in the repeating task creation dialog.
- Fixed an issue where due dates of items in Today were rolled back by one day if the export to iCal feature was enabled.
- Fixed an issue where OS X locale settings were not being respected by date pickers on 10.6 and 10.7.5.
- Updated a troubleshooting link to point at a new support page.
Things Mac 2.2
April 17, 2013
- Major performance improvements across the app.
- More robust handling of dates when traveling between time zones.
- Downloading to-dos from Things Cloud is now even faster.
- Added new Things Cloud update trigger: when returning to an idle Mac, Things will automatically update with Things Cloud.
- Enabled Spelling & Grammar correction by default in the titles and notes of to-dos and Projects.
- Enabled Smart Links by default in the notes of to-dos and Projects.
- Indented badge pills in the source list to better accommodate the scroll bar.
- Improved Things’ handling of email messages dragged and dropped onto the dock icon or notes field.
- Improved cloud indicator for when the Mac is offline or Things Cloud cannot be reached.
- Improved behavior of contextual menus in text fields.
- Improved formatting of dates in the Logbook.
- Fixed an issue where to-dos would be extracted from a Project when it was moved to the trash.
- Fixed an issue where to-dos dragged and dropped from the inbox wouldn’t appear at the correct position in the destination list: the top of an Area, the bottom of a Project.
- Fixed an issue where to-dos created via AppleScript could appear out of order.
- Fixed an issue where items in Scheduled or the Daily Review could show up in an apparently random order (for humans).
- Fixed an issue that could cause a Project’s notes to disappear for some users.
- Fixed an issue that could cause Things to crash when creating tags with certain characters.
- Updated HockeyApp framework.
Things Mac 2.1.1
January 23, 2013
- Reminders Parity with iOS: Added an arrow to items to indicate that they are location-based to-dos.
- Reminders Parity with iOS: Added an import-all button in the top right corner of the white box.
- Improved search functionality to include fuzzy search results for characters with diacritics (e.g., ü, à, ê, ç, ñ, etc.).
- Fixed an issue where items from repeating projects were not grouped under the 'Scheduled' heading when performing a search.
- Fixed an issue with Reminders & Siri that could cause excessive memory usage.
- Fixed an issue where the application could crash when expanding or collapsing the active projects list in the sidebar.
- Fixed an issue that could cause to-dos in a project to move to the top of the project's list when added to Today.
- Fixed an issue where the inbox badge wouldn't be updated when marking an inbox to-do complete.
- Fixed an issue where the due date button would show a non-retina graphic when depressed if the OS X general appearance was set to graphite.
- Fixed a graphical issue when displaying a Reminders error in an empty Inbox.
- Improved performance when scrolling the sidebar when it contains many Projects & Areas.
- Improved the handling of Things Cloud error messages in some scenarios.
- Improved the crash reporter.
- Some localization improvements for German, French, Japanese and Russian.
Things Mac 2.1
September 29, 2012
- Improvements for Reminders & Siri integration, offering more control over which types of Reminders show (for parity with concurrent 2.1 updates for Things on iOS).
- Removed functionality to export to Reminders.app.
- Updated some graphics for the MacBook Pro with Retina display.
- Fixed an issue where interacting with an item in the Daily Review list could cause the keyboard shortcuts to stop working.
- Fixed an issue where dragging a Today item assigned to a project to the top of the Today list would remove the project association.
- Fixed an issue where the application could crash when displaying tags with no title.
- Fixed an issue where the >> indicator wouldn't show when the window's horizontal width was decreased enough to cut off the viewable tags.
- The Today list now utilizes the 'Next Actions Steps' setting when 'Group by Project and Area of Responsibility' is enabled in general preferences.
- The right-arrow key now works as expected on Projects in Today.
- Links to Entourage 2008 emails use the email subject again (as previously in Things Mac 1.5).
- Overdue items are now properly included when printing a selection.
- Canceling the removal of the Things Helper (Quick Entry with Autofill) now works as intended.
- 'Could not connect to server' warnings are now suppressed when necessary.
- Improved error handling when clicking links to missing files/folders from the notes field.
- Improved handling of errors when opening databases.
- Items from repeating projects are now included in search results.
- Performance improvements for displaying large lists of items, especially in areas.
- Localization improvements.
Things Mac 2.0.1
August 12, 2012
- Added Local Push for automatically triggering Things Cloud updates on your other devices (requires an internet connection and works only when all devices are connected to the same router/local network).
- Fixed an issue some users experienced where the application could crash while migrating their database from Things 1 to Things 2.
- Fixed an issue where, in some cases, due items might not display properly in the Daily Review.
Things Mac 2.0
August 9, 2012
- Things Cloud support.
- Compatibility for OS X Mountain Lion.
- Sandbox compliance for enhanced OS X security.
- The all new Daily Review.
- Redesigned Reminders integration to make import & export simpler.
- Retina Graphics for the new MacBook Pro.
- Full-screen mode.
- Reduced window chrome and new monochrome toolbar buttons.
- Visual refinements for the Tags & Quick Entry windows.
- Newly implemented SQLite data storage (was previously XML).
- Re-engineered core for great Things Cloud performance.
- Things Cloud replaces the old Bonjour WiFi Sync.
- This update requires OS X 10.6 or later.
- Many other improvements.
Things Mac 1.5.6
August 9, 2012
- This build is only for users who would like to continue using Bonjour Sync instead of Things Cloud. It will not continue to receive updates.
Things Mac 1.5.5
May 14, 2012
- Versions of Things Mac distributed outside of the Mac App Store are now Gatekeeper-ready (in preparation for OS X Mountain Lion).
- Fixed a bug where the app could crash in some circumstances if 'make repeating' was utilized from the gear menu inside a task, while the due date picker was open.
Things Mac 1.5.4
November 18, 2011 (MAS)
- Fixed a bug in Things' interaction with iCal Reminders/iCloud causing the generation of blank tasks for some users.
Things Mac 1.5.4
November 7, 2011 (non-MAS)
- Fixed a bug in Things' interaction with iCal Reminders/iCloud causing the generation of blank tasks for some users.
Things Mac 1.5.3
November 3, 2011
- iCal sync improvements for better iCloud compatibility: calendars that do not support tasks (reminders) are now hidden from view in Things preferences.
Things Mac 1.5.2
October 27, 2011
- Localization improvements for non-English languages.
- Fixed an issue which resulted in the presentation of a dark box around the save button in the Quick Entry window.
- Fixed an issue where the Quick Entry calendar pop-out wouldn't show while fullscreen in another app.
- Fixed an issue which resulted in the date not showing at the top of pages when printing.
Things Mac 1.5.1
August 25, 2011
- Things Mac is now 64-bit (Lion & Snow Leopard).
- Enhancements for the main window buttons & various other minor UI refinements (Lion).
- Bugfix: resolved an issue causing inconsistent sync between iOS devices, and also blank titles in some cases.
- Bugfix: resolved an issue which prevented the pasting of https URLs into the notes field.
- Bugfix: resolved a UI issue which caused incorrect spacing in the sidebar between iChat icons and People labels (Snow Leopard).
Things Mac 1.5.0
July 20, 2011 (non-MAS)
- Improved compatibility with other releases of Things Mac.
Things Mac 1.5.0
July 20, 2011 (MAS)
- Fixed an issue where tasks without title information could appear on iOS devices after synchronizing.
- Improved Mac OS X 10.7 Lion compatibility.
Things Mac 1.4.8
July 15, 2011 (non-MAS)
- Fixed an issue where tasks without title information could appear on iOS devices after synchronizing.
- Preliminary Mac OS X 10.7 Lion compatibility.
Things Mac 1.4.7
May 9, 2011
- Bugfix: Improved compatibility between the Mac App Store version and the version available from our website.
Things Mac 1.4.6
April 12, 2011
- Feature: AppleScripts can now be run from within Things - more details will be published later.
- Bugfix: An initial sync with long preparation time could lead to a 'connection loss' warning on iOS devices.
- Bugfix: Quickly backgrounding and reactivating TT/TP caused sync to stop working.
- Bugfix: Fixed a bug where deleting a task within a search result would bounce the user to the Inbox.
Things Mac 1.4.5
March 24, 2011
- Feature: Things URI scheme is now supported on the Mac version (previously iOS-only).
- Enhancement: Task modification date is now accessible by AppleScript.
- Bugfix: Fixed a bug where items in Today, Projects and Tags could get randomly reordered after sync.
- Bugfix: Fixed a bug where completing a task within a search result would bounce the user to the Inbox.
- Bugfix: Fixed a bug where repeating task templates in Scheduled would not be properly grouped by repetition pattern.
- Bugfix: The File dialog, and the project list in the Quick Entry dialog, would not reflect the sort order of active projects in the sidebar - both are now fixed.
- Bugfix: Fixed a bug where, in some cases, the repeating tasks dialog would not properly refresh the dates preview.
- Bugfix: Fixed a bug which caused the recurrence rule for iCal events to create only one instance per day.
- Bugfix: Fixed an issue where Things could crash when editing notes on Mac OS 10.4.
Things Mac 1.4.4
February 3, 2011
- Repeating Tasks: Complete re-write of the Repeating Tasks engine.
- Repeating Tasks: Support for syncing repeating tasks with Things on iOS devices.
- Repeating Tasks: Repeating tasks with due dates can now be generated zero days before due.
- Repeating Tasks: Items Scheduled for the last week of the year are now handled correctly.
- Repeating Tasks: Improved robustness of repeating projects.
- Repeating Tasks: Dialog can now be submitted by pressing Enter.
- Bugfix: Fixed a bug where checked items would erroneously move to the top of the list.
- Bugfix: Fixed a bug where the date picker would not get reset properly after closing it.
- Bugfix: Fixed a bug where monthly update checks would not trigger correctly.
Things Mac 1.4.3
October 26, 2010
- Quick Entry: a new preference allows either Inbox or Today to be chosen as the default destination
- Tasks now show their creation date and last modified date in the action menu
- Projects and Areas can now be sorted alphabetically in the sidebar by ctrl-clicking a Project or Area
- Font-size changes in the main view will now also affect the Tags window
- Enabling the option "Group to-dos in the Today list by project or area" in preferences now shows a notification that this feature is not supported on iOS devices
- Enhanced readability of mail subjects with non-ASCII characters
- Added a progress bar for the "Preparing" phase of the sync process
- Fixed an issue where using Quick Entry in conjunction with OS X Spaces could make the keyboard unresponsive
- Fixed an issue where the shortcut for emptying the Trash would delete the currently selected task
- Fixed an issue where tasks in the Logbook would erroneously make the "Show in Logbook" button visible on the toolbar
- Fixed an issue where tasks were not sorted by completion date in the Logbook
- Fixed an issue where logged tasks were not sorted by completion date in the Project view
Things Mac 1.4.2
September 9th, 2010
- Quick Entry: Fixed a bug that prevented the Projects dropdown from displaying Today's projects.
- Keyboard: Reordering projects in the Projects list or inside Areas using the keyboard works again.
Things Mac 1.4.1
September 2nd, 2010
- Fixed a bug that prevented the Quick Entry window from opening on older systems.
Things Mac 1.4
September 1st, 2010
- Sync: Speed has been improved tremendously, resulting in sync being up to 10x faster.
- Font Sizes: Users can now select different font sizes to increase readability on hi-res displays.
- Projects: Projects belonging to different Areas can now be arbitrarily reordered in the sidebar.
- Quick Entry: Area and Project can now be selected when creating a new to-do via the Quick Entry dialog.
- Improved the layout and design of the print style sheet.
- Fixed an issue where dragging repeating projects to Active Projects occasionally resulted in data inconsistencies.
- Improved performance when bulk-removing delegates.
Things Mac 1.3.5
August 12th, 2010
- Fixed an issue that caused Things to crash in some cases when rescheduling a scheduled to-do in Today.
- Fixed 3 additional issues that would make Things crash in specific situations.
- Fixed an issue where double clicking a to-do would open the wrong item in the details view.
- Tags window: Separated background & highlight drawing of outline view. Fixed drawing bug when scrolling in the tags window.
- Fixed an issue where iCal calendars were not visible for Custom iCal Sync in Preferences.
- Fixed an issue where reordering to-dos in Today would not work when filtered by tag.
- Localization: Fixed an issue where the English localization would get displayed with scheduled tasks in Projects.
- The Teammates dialog now has a minimum size to prevent it from becoming unusable when resizing it.
- The UI does now update when undoing the delegating of a to-do.
- Fixed an issue in Areas where the wrong toolbar icons were being displayed for selected to-dos.
- Fixed an issue where tabbing into the Tags field of a Project's header would delete all existing tags for this project.
- Fixed an issue where Daylight Savings Time would interfere with the timestamp of the last maintenance date.
- When dragging an email with an empty subject onto the Notes field, the empty subject will now be replaced with a '(missing subject)' placeholder.
- Fixed an issue where in some cases to-dos could not be created within projects after performing a search.
Things Mac 1.3.4
June 24th, 2010
- Logged items from deleted areas are now preserved in the Logbook.
- Things now displays a confirmation dialog before deleting a non-empty area.
- Added our own crash reporter. Users can send crash reports directly to Cultured Code now.
- Fixed an issue where an empty project title would prevent any items from being shown in 'Next'.
- Fixed an issue where moving project to-dos using the keyboard in the Next or Today lists would result in the user interface switching to project view.
- Fixed an issue where moving a project to an area removed the Today status of all to-dos in the project.
- Fixed an issue where creating a new to-do via the menu command File > New To Do could take an unusual length of time.
- Things now auto-saves before entering read-only mode.
- Fixed an issue where date strings in the Scheduled list overlapped other UI elements for some languages.
- Fixed an issue where Things would not select the corresponding item when opening a Things to-do search result in the Finder if Things wasn't already running.
- Things Helper. Fixed an issue where the Things Helper application would prevent some systems from entering sleep mode.
- Things Helper. Fixed an issue where missing executable permissions on the Things Helper application would result in Things crashing.
- Localization. Japanese localization fixes.
- Localization. French localization fixes.
Things Mac 1.3.3
April 2nd, 2010
- Fixed an issue that for some users resulted in Things 1.3.2 displaying a blank screen after launch.
Things Mac 1.3.2
April 2nd, 2010
- Multiple mobile device syncing. Things can now sync simultaneously with your iPhone, iPod touch, and/or iPad via your local network.
- iPhone preference pane has been renamed to Devices.
Things Mac 1.3.1
March 16th, 2010
- Fixed a crash related to mixed projects that only occurred under Japanese language settings.
Things Mac 1.3
March 12th, 2010
- Mixed projects. A project can now contain active, inactive, and scheduled to-dos simultaneously.
- Minor localization improvements.
- Fixed a bug that could result in Things launching with a blank interface.
- Fixed a bug where multiple Help menus could be displayed.
Things Mac 1.2.11
February 23th, 2010
- Improved validation of license codes.
- Localization. French localization fixes.
Things Mac 1.2.10
January 27th, 2010
- Fixed a bug that resulted in items unexpectedly appearing in the Inbox after syncing.
Things Mac 1.2.9
January 21st, 2010
- Fixed a regression related to the Today list sync conflict issue.
- Fixed an issue where items completed between 12/27/2009 and 12/31/2009 were shown in the Logbook as completed in 2010.
- Added support for emptying the Trash immediately. Hold down the option key while choosing the "Empty Trash..." menu command.
- Fixed an issue where the title of a to-do could have multiple lines when entered via Quicksilver.
- Additional fixes for the issue where Things sometimes started with an empty window and remained unresponsive for some time.
- Fixed a bug that could result in missing search results when searching for tags that contain subtags.
- Localization. Added missing translations for Tags window.
- Localization. Japanese localization fixes.
- Localization. French localization fixes.
Things Mac 1.2.8
December 23th, 2009
- Fixed a sync conflict bug with the Today list. Note: Things for iPhone and iPod touch 1.3.12 is required for this fix to work, and is available on the App Store.
- Fixed an issue where file links containing a combination of Unicode characters and spaces were duplicated each time when opening the corresponding to-do.
- In some situations, Things would crash when launching Things 1.2.5 with a 1.2.6 database.
- Minor localization improvements.
- Fixed an issue where Things sometimes started with an empty window and remained unresponsive.
- Fixed an issue where Quick Entry dialog shortcuts would get recreated even though the shortcuts were removed by the user.
Things Mac 1.2.7 (Retail Version)
December 15th, 2009
- Retail version only: Updated texts in the Welcome screen and licensing dialogs to be more suitable for the retail version.
Things Mac 1.2.6
December 9th, 2009
- Things now monitors whether it is launched from outside the Applications folder, in which case it offers to move itself to the Applications folder.
- Added Quick Entry autofill support for Microsoft Entourage.
- Performance. Things now launches faster in situations where many to-dos are created in or moved to the Today list (e.g. when to-dos are repeated, activate, or become due).
- Performance. Creation of projects is faster for libraries that contain many active projects.
- Performance. Various smaller performance improvements.
- iCal sync. Things now uses a background application to collect changes occurring in systemwide to-dos even when it is not running. This allowed us to complete a workaround for an Apple Mail iCal sync issue.
- Bug fix. Previously the search field lost focus when an entered search term was deleted. This is fixed now.
- Bug fix. The action pop-up button (lower-left of main window) now uses more appropriate menu items when a teammate is selected.
- Bug fix. iCal Sync. The mail-link which is automatically added to to-dos created in Apple Mail now has a "Show in Mail" title (instead of the technical URL that had been previously displayed).
- Bug fix. The size of the "File..." sheet is now remembered between launches.
- Bug fix. In some situations Things crashed when emptying Trash. This is fixed now.
- Bug fix. Fixed a problem where certain links from iCal syncing did not work properly.
- Bug fix. Disabling automatic checking for updates now works correctly.
- Bug fix. The database upgrade dialog no longer appears when launching Things for the first time.
- Bug fix. Fixed an issue with editing due dates and schedule dates using the keyboard.
- Bug fix. Fixed an issue when dragging and dropping e-mail messages to the notes field when using a Chinese environment.
- Bug fix. Fixed handling of double-clicks performed on Things' main window when in the background. The selection in the detail list now gets updated properly before editing.
- Bug fix. Fixed an issue when invoking Quick Entry crashed the entire application.
- Localization. Japanese localization fixes.
- Localization. Spanish localization fixes.
- Complete overhaul of French localization including a localized version of the Help Book.
- Fixed a bug that in some rare cases crashed the application when invoking the Quick Entry dialog.
- Fixed a bug that caused the File dialog to freeze in some circumstances.
- Removed a German string that inadvertently found its way into the English localization.
- Added acknowledgement for the keyboard shortcut recorder we are using in preferences.
Things Mac 1.2.5
October 8th, 2009
- Fixed a bug that caused the Quick Entry hotkeys to only function after opening the Preferences.
Things Mac 1.2.4
October 7th, 2009
- Simplified dialog for filing to-dos into projects and areas.
- When entering tags in the corresponding field of a to-do, in addition to autocompletion, it is now also possible to use tag shortcuts.
- Repeating to-dos. In addition to "last", also added "31st" as an option to specify the last day of a month.
- iCal sync. Partial fix for an issue where Mail.app created duplicate items in Things.
- Toolbar. In the Projects list, the Next toolbar item is no longer shown when no projects are selected. Instead the Active/Inactive item is shown.
- Toolbar. Titles of toolbar items that did not fit into the toolbar, were not always displayed correctly in the >> overflow menu. This is fixed.
- Toolbar. When removing an item from the Today list by clicking the "Not Today" toolbar item, the toolbar item's title no longer incorrectly changes to "Today".
- Drag & Drop. It is now possible to drag RSS feeds from Apple Mail into a to-do's notes section.
- Drag & Drop. When dragging cards from Address Book to the Things dock icon, the corresponding link in the new to-do's notes section is now created correctly (does not work on Snow Leopard yet).
- Drag & Drop. When dragging a file to a to-do's notes section, we no longer add a "+" badge to the dragged image. Instead the arrow badge is shown to indicate that only a link (alias) to the file is generated.
- Quick Entry. Autofill now also works with RSS feeds in Apple Mail.
- Quick Entry. Tasks entered using the Quick Entry dialog are now saved to disk immediately.
- Plug-ins. Fixed an issue related to adding to-dos to an area using plug-ins in third party apps.
- Status line (bottom of main window). The item count is now displayed correctly when filtering by tags in the Someday list.
- Adding teammates. Display Name and Preferred Email Address are now updated when clicking a person entry in the embedded Address Book. Previously double-clicking was necessary.
- Quick Look now displays file links in the notes field of a to-do correctly.
- When automatic downloading of Things software updates in the background is enabled, version information is now displayed correctly in the corresponding dialog window.
- Preferences. Re-setting already defined keyboard shortcuts now works as expected.
- AppleScript. Added "with autofill" parameter to "show quick entry panel" command.
- Localization. Added support for localized release notes.
- Localization. Fixes for German.
- Localization. Changed default hotkeys for Quick Entry on Japanese systems to Shift+Ctrl+S (Empty) and Shift+Ctrl+A (Autofill).
Things Mac 1.2.3
September 15th, 2009
- Fixed a bug that caused the Quick Entry hotkeys to be set to 'a' if they were disabled in previous versions.
Things Mac 1.2.2
September 14th, 2009
- General Preferences. The hotkeys for the Quick Entry dialog can now be enabled or disabled independently.
- General Preferences. Added an option to disable Spotlight indexing of Things items.
- Quick Entry Autofill now works in Microsoft Word 2008 and Mailplane.
- Links to Address Book entries can now be created by dragging and dropping Address Book cards into the notes of a to-do.
- Dragging and dropping multiple emails into the notes of a to-do now correctly creates links to all messages.
- The Help menu now contains a link to the keyboard shortcuts page.
- Bug fix. On Snow Leopard, the blue selection indicator is now removed after dragging an item on a project in the sidebar.
- Bug fix. When invoking the Quick Entry dialog with the autofill shortcut, the System alert volume would sometimes be set to zero. This is fixed.
- Bug fix: A due date is no longer added to a to-do if only (Shift-,) is pressed, as opposed to (Control-Shift-,).
- Bug fix. The Quick Entry dialog would not appear when invoking the hotkeys while the Things preferences window was open. This is fixed.
- Bug fix. Having Firefox installed inside a Parallels Windows virtual machine no longer interferes with the Quick Entry autofill feature.
- Bug fix. When using the Japanese Hiragana input method, the text entered in a title no longer disappears when reaching the end of the line.
- Bug fix. When using the Japanese Kotoeri input method, pressing return in the Quick Entry dialog no longer dismisses the dialog.
- The default hotkeys for the Quick Entry dialog on Japanese systems no longer interfere with the Mac OS X hotkeys for switching input methods.
- Fixed a bug where Things would crash when upgrading from an version of Things prior to 1.0.4.
- Application Launcher Plugins. Typing ">+0" to specify a due date of today in the Things plugins for LaunchBar, Quicksilver, or Google Quick Search Box is now handled correctly.
- Minor localization fixes for Japanese, French, Spanish, and Russian.
Things Mac 1.2.1
September 1st, 2009
- Quick Entry: Added autofill support for Firefox 3.x.
- Fixed French and Russian localization glitches.
- Updated Helpbook to reflect new keyboard shortcuts.
- Quick Entry: Autofill no longer crashes Things on Japanese systems with Romaji/Hiragana/Katakana input methods.
- Quick Entry: Autofill no longer creates links when viewing Top Sites or the Bookmarks page in Safari.
- Bug fix: Due dates are now correctly recognized when specifying them via LaunchBar on 10.5.
- Bug fix: Links to files would get duplicated if the file name contained both Hiragana and Latin characters. This is fixed.
- Bug fix: The due date is no longer decreased by 7 days if only (Shift-,) is pressed, as opposed to (Control-Shift-,)
Things Mac 1.2
August 27th, 2009
- Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard compatibility.
- Quick Entry dialog autofill. Quick Entry can now automatically grab and populate content from apps like Safari, Mail, and the Finder.
- Added many Keyboard Shortcuts. Navigate Things entirely with your keyboard.
- Spotlight integration. Search for your tasks using Mac OS X Spotlight.
- Added localizations for French, Spanish, and Russian.
- Performance. Reduced the amount of time it takes to process recurring tasks during daily maintenance.
- Quick Look integration. Quickly view the content of your tasks right from Spotlight search results in the Finder.
- Tags. Tag shortcuts are no longer automatically created when creating a new tag.
- Help Book. Updated the indices for the Things Help book in all localizations.
- Bug fix. The due date no longer gets set when tabbing through the due date field.
- Quick Entry: Fixed issues where the Quick Entry dialog could become unresponsive when trying to save a to-do and subsequently dismissing the Quick Entry dialog.
- Quick Entry: Fixed a bug where pressing Return in the tags and notes field was saving the to-do instead of creating a new line.
- Fixed a bug in the Quick Entry dialog that prevented Return/Enter keys from working correctly when the keyboard focus was outside the to-do.
- Bug fix: Drag and dropping text into the title field now removes the default text "New To Do".
- Bug fix: Quick Entry dialog was not saving an entered to-do when invoking the Quick Entry dialog again.
- Preferences. Fixed a bug where the Quick Entry hotkey preferences change mode stayed active when closing/reopening the Things preferences.
- Fixed a bug in the German localization where Today, Next, names of teammates, etc. could be temporarily renamed.
- Changed the date format for year from ISO year-week calendar to calendar year to fix an issue where the ISO calendar differed from the calendar year.
- Fixed an issue where Things did not work properly with Japanese calendar settings.
- Fixed an issue where indices wouldn't get updated when adding to-dos to projects.
- Bug fix. The upgrade progress indicator did not show progress when launching Things.
- Bug fix. Pausing/Resuming a repeating to-do would re-schedule the repeating to-do.
- Improved the behavior of Show in List / Show in Today / Show in Project.
- iGTD users can now import their tasks into Things.
Things Mac 1.1.3
July 1st, 2009
- Added Japanese localization.
- Fixed an issue with repeating to-dos where repeating dates were calculated incorrectly when specifying, "Repeat yearly every 2nd Sunday in May", etc.
- Fixed problem that in some rare situations could result in repeating task templates to lose their repeating status and show a due date of 4000 or 4001.
- Email links in project notes are now saved.
- Fixed an issue where dragging a to-do from the Next list was not possible when view was filtered by due date.
- Due items now remain in the Today list if you detach their project from an area.
- Fixed an issue in the Quick Entry dialog where values entered in "Show in Today" were not saved.
- Regression in Quick Entry dialog. Added button (again) to select tags from drop-down list.
- Project notes are now included in the print view.
- Fixed an issue where the menu item "Move to Next" was not disabled for repeating to-dos.
- AppleScript. Fixed a bug where Things crashes when in edit mode while launching an AppleScript.
- Fixed an issue where area and project headers would show up multiple times in the Next list.
- Preferences. The hotkey option for the Quick Entry dialog is now disabled when unchecked.
- Fixed crash when syncing after deleting the library on the Mac (only when tags in areas were present on the iPhone).
- Help Book. Updated index and keyboard shortcuts.
- AppleScript. Fixed an issue where "delete every area" did not delete the last area.
Things Mac 1.1.2
May 11th, 2009
- Fixed a crasher on Snow Leopard related to entering due dates.
- Regression. Certain network conditions made the sync progress window appear even when there was no sync session in progress. This is fixed now.
Things Mac 1.1.1
May 5th, 2009
- Regression. Fixed display bug that occurred when entering long notes or titles in lists containing only a few to-dos.
- Regresson. Fixed a bug that prevented text to be copied into the Quick Entry dialog.
Things Mac 1.1
May 4th, 2009
- Added AppleScript support.
- People. New model for working with delegated to-dos. Delegated to-dos retain their focus and are visible both under the teammate as well as in the focus they have been moved into.
- People. When updating from Things 1.0.4, delegated items will appear in the Next or Projects list.
- Added support for Area sync for Things for iPhone and iPod touch.
- When an overdue to-dos is set to Not Today, it will stay in the Next list until the next day. Previously overdue to-dos were moved back to Today upon restarting Things or syncing.
- Changed keyboard shortcut for the "Move to Someday" menu command from Cmd-S to Cmd-Y.
- Changed keyboard shortcut for the "File..." menu command from Cmd-Right Arrow to Shift-Cmd-F.
- Updated the software auto-update mechanism (we are now using Sparkle 1.5b6).
- New support URLs instead of the previous built-in window.
- Preferences. Updated and re-worked the UI of the iPhone Preferences pane.
- Changed computation of badge count in sidebar and dock icon for better compatibility with Things touch.
- Significantly improved the reliability of Wifi sync.
- Added warning message when delegating a to-do from a project that has already been delegated.
- Bug fix. Global search now finds to-dos from inactive projects.
- Bug fix. The "Show in Project" command now also works when the Active Projects group is collapsed in the sidebar.
- Bug fix. The drop targets for drags to the top or bottom of a list are larger now and drop indicators are fully drawn.
- Bug fix. Creating new to-dos in the Trash is now prevented.
- Bug fix. Tag hierarchies are now being handled correctly (would previously hang when setting parent tags).
- Bug fix. Quick Entry HUD no longer requires clicking the Things dock icon twice to see Things' main window.
- Bug fix. Wrong button style in trial-expiration dialog (on Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger).
- Bug fix. Repeating projects without a due date no longer display a wrong due date of 01.01.4001.
- Bug fix. Disabled non-functional "Toggle Someday" menu command for tasks in a project.
- Localization. German and English now use the same keyboard shortcuts in the View > Go To menu.
Things Mac 1.0.4
February 16th, 2009
- iPhone sync. Improved reliability of iPhone sync for canceled projects.
- iPhone sync. Improved reliability of iPhone sync in situations where tasks in a completed project have been unchecked.
- iPhone sync. Fixed various situations that led to empty todos in the iPhone's Inbox.
- Adding a new task to a completed project uncompletes the project.
- Adding a new task to a logged project sets the new task to logged.
- Marking a task in a completed project as uncompleted also marks the project uncompleted.
- Uncompleted projects can no longer be dragged to the Logbook.
- Repeating tasks can no longer be moved into projects using the File dialog.
- When dragging items from the Trash to an area, they no longer stay in the Trash, but are made active instead.
Things Mac 1.0.3
February 6th, 2009
- Regression. Reodering tags in the Tags window no longer crashes the app.
- iPhone sync. Removed a bug that sometimes causes Things to crash during sync.
- iPhone sync. Removed a bug that led to area headings appearing in the Inbox on the desktop after moving items to the Inbox on the iPhone.
Things Mac 1.0.2
February 5th, 2009
- The order of projects and areas in the Next list is now consistent with the ordering in the sidebar.
- Drag and drop of projects and areas in the sidebar is now immediately reflected throughout the entire UI.
- Changes made to tags and changes made in the Tags HUD are now immediately reflected throughout the entire UI.
- Fine tuned the Inbox and Area icons.
- Added a link to the Things FAQ under the Help menu.
- Setting multiple projects to inactive at once is now also possible when both active and inactive projects are selected.
- License dialog. Name is no longer pre-populated from the Address Book since this caused confusion.
- Preferences. Pressing the escape key in the iCal preference pane no longer dismisses changes without a warning.
- Fixed a bug where the date chooser would not disappear after editing the due date of a project.
- Bug fix. When the Things window is minimized, clicking on the Dock icon now maximizes the window.
- Bug fix. Deleting items via Edit > Delete is now possible.
- Bug fix. Moving items to other sources does no longer cause some of the remaining items to become selected.
- Bug fix. The "Show in" toolbar button in the Logbook is now working for items that belong to a project.
- Bug fix. After creating a new area, pressing the space bar to create new todos is now possible.
- Bug fix. When clicking on an area header in Next, the corresponding area is now selected in the sidebar.
- Bug fix. Tags can no longer be accidentally assigned by pressing shortcuts while editing a to-do.
- Corrected typos in the Help Book.
- Corrected typos in the German localization.
Things Mac 1.0.1
January 17th, 2009
- Added setting to switch between the grouped and new style Today list.
- Bug fix. Reordering items in the Today list (new style) no longer changes the order in projects.
- Bug fix. Moving multiple items to the Today or other lists no longer reverses their order.
- Wording in Projects list is now "xx more inactive or scheduled".
- Fixed a rare bug that resulted in displaying a "Failed to save. Unknown store type, format, or version." error message.
- German localization. Translated labels and menu commands that were overlooked in v1.0.
- German localization. Keyboard shortcut for Tags window is working again.
- German localization. Keyboard shortcut for Find is now also working in German localization.
Things Mac 1.0 Final Release
January 6th, 2009
- Added an Apple Help Book.
- Changed keyboard shortcut for opening the Tags window to Cmd-Shift-T.
- Changed keyboard shortcut for the Toggle Today menu command to Cmd-T. The title of the menu item now reads "Today" or "Not Today" as appropriate.
- Combined menu commands for moving items to the Someday and Next list into a single toggle command with keyboard shortcut Cmd-S. The title of the menu item adapts to the current selection and also reflects the difference between single to-do items and projects.
- Changed keyboard shortcut for scheduling items to Cmd-R. The menu item's title now reflects whether an item is rescheduled or scheduled for the first time.
- Added menu commands for filing items and marking items complete.
- Added keyboard shortcuts for logging completed items (Cmd-L), making items repeating (Cmd-Alt-R), and marking items (un)completed (Cmd-.).
- Changed keyboard shortcuts for the Go To commands to Cmd-0, Cmd-1, etc. (note the missing shift key modifier).
- Removed expiration date.
- Added a trial period reminder to the main window's title bar.
- Bug fix. The search field now scrolls when entering more text than it can hold.
- Refinement. When resizing the main window, the Logbook and Trash items in the sidebar now move immediately instead of jumping after resizing is complete.
- German localization. Translated two previously neglected dialogs.
Things Mac 1.0 Release Candidate 3
January 3rd, 2009
- Regression. The Things 1.0 release candidate refused to start on Macs with a G3 processor. This is fixed.
- Bug fix. Manage areas dialog. It is now possible to enter tags that didn't exist previously.
- Bug fix. When having many tags assigned to a project, they are no longer clipped in the project header.
- Notes that were added to an area item in earlier versions are now recovered and stored in an automatically generated to-do item inside the area.
- New sidebar icon for Inbox.
- Tweaked size of iCal preference pane.
Things Mac 1.0 Release Candidate 2
December 30, 2008
- Regression. Areas containing a scheduled item weren't ordered correctly. This is fixed.
- Changed expiration date to Jan 15th.
- Corrected a typo in the German localization.
Things Mac 1.0 Release Candidate
December 29, 2008
- New icons!
- Added a (beautiful!) way to add and view license codes.
- To-dos in the Today list can now be reordered across project and area boundaries. Consequently, the project and area headings are gone.
- In flat lists like Today or when filtering by due date or searching, the project's title and due date are displayed in the to-do item itself.
- In flat lists, tags inherited from a project or area are displayed in gray within the to-do item itself.
- The "Show in List" toolbar button is now displayed in all flat lists (not only while searching).
- Sidebar. Moved the Projects list to the Focus group. Previously, users new to Things often overlooked the Projects overview.
- Sidebar. Removed an unnecessary level of indentation by grouping projects and areas under collapsable headings.
- Sidebar. Titles of projects and areas can now be edited directly in the sidebar.
- Sidebar. It is now possible to reorder projects and areas in the sidebar.
- Sidebar. Projects can now be organized directly by dragging them in the sidebar to, e.g., a Focus list or an Area.
- Sidebar. Added contextual (right-click) menus.
- Areas. In the main pane of the Things window, areas no longer appear as objects in their own right. Specifically, the Areas list is gone, and areas can now be managed using a dedicated "Manage Areas" dialog. Since projects and single to-dos still appear as objects, there is now a clear distinction between areas as containers and to-dos/projects as the contained items.
- Areas. Areas no longer display a header. This leaves more space to the contained items and further helps to distinguish areas from projects.
- Project header. Tags now get their own line to prevents multiple tags from being clipped.
- Project header. Added a notes field, so it is no longer necessary to go to the Projects list to review a project's notes.
- Project header. New design to make the new extended header to appear lighter.
- Project header. Changed wording from "Reminder" to "Show in Today" to more clearly communicate what the function does.
- Starting to edit a project item now always switches to the project view.
- Adapted the appearance of items in editing mode to the new style used in project headers.
- Added a "Make Repeating..." menu command to the Item menu.
- iPhone sync. The ordering of the Today list now syncs correctly with Things on the iPhone. (This requires Things for the iPhone version 1.3 for best results. With version 1.2, you should not reorder Today items on both devices simultaneously.)
- iPhone sync. Added support for syncing tags with Things for iPhone version 1.3. Version 1.3 has already been submitted and will be available on the App Store after the usual review process by Apple (which could take a week or perhaps longer).
- Removed "Show due items in Today list" option in Preferences.
- Compatibility. Due dates and activation dates (Scheduled list) are now evaluated at midnight instead of 4:00am. This improves compatibility with the iPhone version. In a later release we will add a preference to set a custom time of the day (or rather night :)).
- Performance. Improved performance when resizing the main window.
- Crash. Removed a bug that sometimes cause Things on the iPhone or iPod touch to crash during sync.
- Bug fix. The due date filter button now displays correctly on Tiger.
- Bug fix. Fixed a bug that prevented due dates from being saved in repeating to-do templates when starting the edit session by using the action gear in some situations.
- Bug fix. Fixed a bug that resulted in the contents of the sidebar to be shifted and partially clipped.
- Bug fix. Fixed a bug that resulted in previously completed/logged items to be moved to the Today list after iPhone sync (this fix specifically pertains to items with a due date).
- Bug fix. Fixed a bug that prevented Reminders (now renamed to "Show in Today") to be synced to the iPhone.
- Bug fix. Fixed a bug that resulted in the wrong to-do being marked as completed when clicking on a checkbox while another to-do was in editing mode.
- Bug fix. The filter bar no longer appears for lists that contain a single item with multiple tags.
- Bug fix. The due date filter button no longer appears for lists that contain a single item with a due date.
- Bug fix. Changes made in project headers no longer get lost when clicking the New To Do button.
- Bug fix. The "Empty Trash" toolbar button is now disabled when Trash is already empty.
Things Mac 0.9.6.1
December 5, 2008
- When the contents of an Area of Responsibility is displayed in the main view, the "New Project" menu command now inserts the new project into the this Area instead of the general projects list.
- You can now use Command-F to move keyboard focus to the search field. The only exception is when editing the note section of a to-do. In that case the standard find panel is shown.
- Improved reliability of "https" URL detection.
- The "Item>Move To" menu command didn't reflect the new ordering in the sidebar. This is fixed now.
- Schedule Dialog, regression. When re-scheduling a to-do it was no longer possible to move the date to the past. This is fixed.
- Schedule Dialog. The title of the action popup button now also updates when clicking into the date picker.
- The state of toolbar buttons now update correctly when the selection changes due to applying an operation that removes an item from the current list.
- iCal Sync. Syncing priorities now also works with the German localization.
- Minor improvements to the German localization.
- iPhone sync. Increased robustness and reliability of device discovery under unusual network conditions.
- iPhone sync. Added "Sync now" menu command and button (Preferences).
- iPhone sync. Added facility to debug sync/network problems. Clicking on the "Sync Now" button in Preferences while holding down the option/alt key copies a sync report to the clipboard.
- iPhone sync. The progress window now has a cancel button and remembers its previous position.
- iPhone sync. Fixed a Things touch crash related to syncing unmodified duplicated to-dos.
- iPhone sync. Canceling and re-opening the set-up assistant sometimes led to devices no longer being discovered. This is fixed.
- iPhone sync. Canceling the set-up assistant but still entering the code on the iPhone no longer crashes Things.
- iPhone sync. When initiating sync from the mobile device, Things no longer moves all of its windows to the front. Sync process is still shown, but hidden immediately after sync has finished.
Things Mac 0.9.6
November 1, 2008
- Global search. The search field now operates on the entire Things database. Previously, searches were limited to the currently selected list.
- For global searching, a "Show in List" button has been added to the toolbar (only visible when searching) which will display the currently selected search result in its original list.
- Added a graphite version to the due date filter button. This setting automatically adapts to the Appearance setting for System Preferences.
- Regression. On Tiger, automatic logging and the activation of start and due dates were broken. This is fixed.
Things Mac 0.9.5.1
October 12, 2008
- Extended expiration date to match the Things 1.0 release in January 2009 at Macworld (see blog post).
- Minor refinements.
Things Mac 0.9.5
October 12, 2008
- Added ability to filter and sort by due date.
- Regression. 'Projects' item in the source list indicates the number of due projects (again).
- iPhone sync no longer causes delegated tasks that become due to be removed from the person's list.
- When scheduling items, the date can no longer be set to today inadvertently.
- Empty projects or areas can no longer be dragged to the Inbox.
- Larger font size for notes.
- Interface refinements (capitalization, ellipses, checkmarks in Windows menu, etc.)
- Fixed oversights in German localization
Things Mac 0.9.4.1
September 29, 2008
- Added German localization
- iPhone Sync. Fixed an issue that resulted in to-dos not being shown under their respective projects.
- Better reliability of "Duplicate" command and recurring task copies
Things Mac 0.9.4
- Support for iPhone sync.
- In the list associated with an area, to-dos can now be dragged onto projects.
- Things now automatically keeps backups (backups are stored in <home>/Library/Application Support/Cultured Code/Things)
- Slightly improved status text when viewing a single project
- Warning dialog if user attempts to open a library that was created with a newer version of Things
Things Mac 0.9.3.2
- Improved support for Asian input methods (Japanese, Chinese, etc.)
- Fixed a bug in the natural language processing of due dates
- Changed the expiration date to Oct 15th
Things Mac 0.9.3.1
- Alt-clicking on checkbox marks an item as Canceled.
- Toggling the Today flag now also works on mixed selections.
- Alt-Backspace shortcut for marking items as Canceled.
- Added "Log Completed" tool to project view.
- Tags window. Fixed a bug that prevented children of tags to be reordered (regression due to optimizations introduced in a previous Leopard update).
- Fixed a bug that prevented children of inactive projects to be updated correctly when the project was moved to "Next".
- Changed spelling of "Cancelled" to American English.
- Canceling due items now works correctly.
- Sidebar counts no longer include canceled items.
- Canceled tasks will no longer be synced with the system/iCal.
- In the morning the dock count was only updated after making Things the active application. This is fixed.
Things Mac 0.9.3
- Dock badge and corresponding preference settings (Leopard only).
- To Do items now can have a "Cancelled" status.
- Warning when attempting to check off a project that still contains incomplete items.
- More compact design of the Today and Next lists.
- The preferences window can no longer be inadvertently resized. Doing so previously broke the window's layout.
- iCal sync. To Do items generated by repeating task templates are no longer ignored.
- iCal sync now honors the "Move completed items to Logbook: Immediately" setting in other applications as well.
- iCal sync. When specifying a tag x in the "Only items having any of the following tags" field, items that carried a child tag of x were not synced. This is fixed.
- Validation of "Items" menu commands is more accurate now.
- Emptying the trash when the Trash list is selected no longer crashes Things (regression in 0.9.2.1)
- Fixed a regression that prevented delegated tasks in projects to be reordered.
- Logging projects that still contain incomplete items no longer breaks the ordering in Next and Today (regression).
Things Mac 0.9.2.1
- Fixes crashers, in particular one related to iCal sync.
Things Mac 0.9.2
- Support for Leopard's system-wide to-do service.
- Adding a new item in Things while another one is still open. The item that was already open is now properly closed and the newly created one enters editing mode.
Things Mac 0.9.1.2
- Corrected expiration date.
Things Mac 0.9.1.1
- Printing. Long project titles and tags no longer overlap.
- Removed debugging code that resulted in Things using excessive amounts of memory.
- Printing. Added headers and footers.
- Printing. Long dates no longer overlap.
- The print document window is now automatically closed when saving a PDF.
- Printing should now work on versions of Tiger prior to 10.4.11 (using earlier versions is not recommended though).
Things Mac 0.9.1
- Native printing
- Repeating items. Fixed a bug that resulted in "after completion" option not working properly.
- Repeating items. Resuming a previously paused item no longer crashes Things.
- Quitting Things before closing an edited item no longer results in loosing the most recent changes.
- The Things library is written to disk more often now (after each edit).
Things Mac 0.9.0.3
- Repeating tasks on Tiger. Fixed a bug that resulted in upcoming dates to be computed incorrectly for the weekly setting when the number of weeks was bigger than one.
- Fixed regression of Leopard style email links introduced in 0.9. Dragging emails to notes should now work again from all mailboxes including Notes.
- Italian date format. Fixed a parsing problem that was caused by the fact that "mar" is short for both a month and a weekday name.
- Completed items in the trash are no longer logged.
- The "Move to Today" action is always preselected when scheduling an item that is marked Today.
- Quick Entry Dialog. When choosing the Scheduled list, the Postpone dialog now shows the correct title.
- The count displayed in project items now reads "1 item" instead of "1 items".
Things Mac 0.9.0.2
- Disabled reporting of minor errors until we have a more efficient way of communicating them.
- Minor cosmetic changes.
Things Mac 0.9.0.1
- Items in Areas of Responsibility can be made repeating by using the action gear menu (visible in edit mode).
- Scheduled items can me made repeating by using the drop down menu left of the items.
- Pull down menu next to postponed items in Scheduled now displays the absolute date as its first item.
- Descriptions of repeating items now correctly use 21st, 22nd, 23rd instead of 21th etc.
- Action gear drop down menu now shows a message when user attemps to make a to-do repeating which is contained in a project (future versions of Things will support this option).
- Replaced "Postponed" title with "Scheduled" in "Go To" menu command.
- Make Repeating: "After completion" option now works correctly when item was completed already.
- The Error Report dialog now offers to try to resume instead of quitting Things regardless.
- Fixed a crash in situations where the target of a file link was deleted or unavailable.
- Fixed a crash related to unnamed items.
- Fixed a crash on systems where the Helvetica font was disabled or deinstalled.
- Fixed a crash that occurred while attempting to manipulate a newly created item with the mouse while the item was still in editing mode.
Things Mac 0.9
- Recurring Tasks
- Added a "Choose Things Library" dialog that can be invoked by holding the option/alt key while opening Things.
- Better error handling. Things will now catch more unexpected errors and also offers a convenient way to send reports via email.
- To-dos and projects can now be duplicated via the menu command in the Edit menu.
- Renamed "Postponed" to "Scheduled"
- The Scheduled list now uses headings to groups items like "Next week", "April", etc.
- The Scheduled list now uses relative dates
- The Scheduled list now re-sorts instantly when changing a date.
- Added a "Move to Today"-option for postponed to-dos.
- The add tag button menu is now hierarchically structured.
- The add tag button now also works when the tag field does not have keyboard focus.
- Hi-res application icon
- Project and area items now indicate if they contain due items.
- More informative description for a project's item count at bottom of the main window.
- Double clicking no longer creates new to-dos (too often new to-do items were accidentally created)
- Quick Entry dialog. Things is no longer inadvertently un-hidden when tags are entered.
- By clicking into the main window while Things is not active, to-dos can no longer be checked off. Previously it could happen that the wrong to-do was marked completed.
- When the Quick Entry dialog was brought up, the notes field sometimes had a wrong height. This is fixed.
- Fixed the drop shadow problem on Mac OS X 10.5.2
- Fixed a bug that sometimes resulted in reminders not to be saved correctly.
- Fixed Bugs related to dragging Apple Mail messages to notes (Leopard only). Dragging now works from every mailbox and special characters are displayed correctly.
- Fixed "Notes is not valid" error. This is in fact a workaround for a bug in Mac OS X 10.4.
- Fixed memory leaks and improved performance.
Things Mac 0.8.7
- Improved stability and reliability (in particular related to removing teammates)
- Project due dates are now also shown in Next and Today lists.
- French date format. Corrected problems with setting due dates.
- Ordering of items in the "Move To" and "Where" menus were inconsistent with the side bar. This is fixed.
- The mini calendar now honours the user's "Start week on" iCal setting.
- Todos correctly display their due date even past midnight (due and postponed dates are not supposed to activate before 4:00 am in the morning)
- In addition to the backspace key, the delete key can now also be used to remove items.
- Inbox no longer counts completed todos.
- When dragging items to a text document, the resulting text no longer uses wiki/html syntax.
Things Mac 0.8.6
This version is our first public preview
- The Quick Entry dialog now marks due items Today immediately (this applies to active items in general)
- Fixed a bug related to some date formats that contained minus signs.
- Fixed problems that occurred when either CMD+5, CMD+6, CMD+8, or CMD+9 was used in the Quick Entry dialog (Tiger only).
- Sometimes the tag window didn't update properly when the user rearranged tags. This is fixed.
- Things now uses an expiration date of April 15, 2008 (v0.8.6 is our first public release).
Things Mac 0.8.5
- Option to automatically mark due items Today.
- Quick Entry dialog. Todos can now be saved to projects and areas of responsibility.
- "Todos > Move To" menu.
- Keyboard shortcuts from the "Move To" menu can also be used in the Quick Entry dialog.
- Revised Undo/Redo
- "Check Spelling While Typing" now remembers setting across launches.
- Larger drop target for todos dragged to the bottom of a list.
- Double clicking into the empty space below a list now creates a new todo.
- Toolbar button and action menu item for emptying the trash.
- Hot key for Quick Entry dialog now works as a toggle.
- Several visual improvements for Leopard users
- Performance improvements
- Fixed a serious bug related to deleting items using the action menu below the side bar.
- Previously the mini calendar did not commit changes when the user clicked outside the calendar. This is fixed.
- Removed the animation from navigating projects and areas.
- Changed style for displaying projects and areas in lists.
- Areas List. The number of items contained in an area is now computed correctly. Previously, logged items were also counted.
- Area. The tag bar no longer displays tags that are only contained in already logged items from the area.
Things Mac 0.8.4
- Added a dialog to assist users who ran into Apple's (Tiger-only) Core Data bug.
Things Mac 0.8.3
- Implemented a workaround for a serious Tiger specific bug in Apple's Core Data framework. Notes containing hashes '#' were garbled in ways that could even lead to Things archives becoming corrupted.
- Disabled Undo. Undo is likely to cause instabilities. We will re-enable undo once we identified and corrected the problems.
- Users are prevented from accidentally entering empty tags. Running this update also fixes archives that contain such tags. Previously, empty tags could even lead to Things becoming unusable.
- Fixed a bug that could result in embedded help texts not being centered.
- When the Quick Entry dialog was invoked in a space different from the main window, the mini calendar was not displayed. This is fixed.
- Using the Keyboard shortcuts CMD+0, CMD+1, etc. (see the View menu) now also opens the main window if it has been closed previously.
- Really :) fixed the bug that prevented mail links from being created for certain messages.
Things Mac 0.8.2
- Lists can now be navigated using keyboard shortcuts (Inbox Cmd-0, Today Cmd-1, etc.) or the "View" menu.
- Added dialogs to give feedback in situations where user tries to initiate unimplemented operations.
- Added an introductory start-up screen for new users.
- Added help texts that are displayed instead of an empty list.
- Fixed a critical bug where replacing a tag's title in the tag window led to Things becoming completely unresponsive.
- Fixed a critical bug where successively invoking the Quick Entry Dialog using services could lead to previous titles being overridden by later ones.
- Fixed a bug that could result in edits being lost when clicking outside of a to-do to close it.
- Fixed a bug that could result in edits made in the header section of either projects or areas to be lost when the user switched to another list.
- Fixed a bug that prevented mail links from being created for certain messages.
- Things no longer crashes when the user's preferred date format does not contain the year component.
- The tag field no longer changes case while entering new tags. If, for example, a tag "Bob" already exists, it is now easier to create a new tag "blog" without the tag field changing "b" into "B" while typing.
- URLs pasted into the notes field are now formatted correctly.
- Tag bar. Multiple tags can now also be selected using the command key.
Things Mac 0.8.1
- Added a dialog for sending feedback.
- Natural language input for due dates.
- Added a mini calendar for due dates.
- Files can now be dragged to the notes section of to-dos. The file itself is not copied to the Things archive, only references are stored.
- Email messages can be dragged to the notes section of to-dos (requires Apple Mail 3.1). Clicking on the corresponding link will open the message in the user's default email client.
- Web addresses dragged from, e.g., Safari's address field, are now displayed using the web page's title.
- Dragging files or web addresses onto Things' application icon opens the Quick Entry window with corresponding links added to the notes section.
- Changed default hot key to CTRL+Space.
- Pressing the hot key no longer brings the main window to front.
- Pressing the hot key twice no longer crashes Things.
- Fixed Tag autocompletion in Quick Entry dialog (only affected users on Leopard).
- When the Tags field has keyboard focus, the down arrow key opens the add tag popup menu.
- Disabled "New Tag" warning dialog.
- When editing to-dos, holding the "esc" key no longer aborts editing, but save changes instead. (This is particularly useful when keyboard focus is in the notes section.)
- Cmd-Tab no longer re-opens the main window.
- Fixed service menu commands.
- Preferences. The hot key field no longer gets keyboard focus when the preference dialog is opened.
- Preferences. The "Move completed items to archive: Immediately" setting now works correctly.
- Fixed a rare but serious bug, where Things stopped saving to the archive when an internal database error was encountered.
- Badges in the side bar no longer become partially hidden.
- To-dos no longer lose the Today property when filed under a project or area of responsibility.
Things Mac 0.8b
- Fixed a compatibility problem that prevented drag & drop on Leopard systems from working correctly.
- Fixed a bug that resulted in notes attached to projects or areas to be deleted.
- Application doesn't quit anymore when main window is closed.
Things Mac 0.8a
Version 0.8 was our first release.
- Compatibility with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.